Sunday, November 22, 2015

Adventures in Pear Butter

I've been invited to Thanksgiving at a new partner's house with is extended family. I made pear butter. I wanted to make plum butter, but I could not find plums anywhere. I swear three weeks ago everywhere was lousy with plums, but when you specifically go looking for them ...

I got lucky and found pears, an orange, and orange juice at Grocery Outlet.

Pear Butter Recipe

Six pounds of pears - peeled and cored
Zest from most of a large orange
A good bit of freshly grated nutmeg
Cinnamon to toss and cover the pears
One cup of sugar
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/4 to 1/2 cup of agave syrup

I started the pear butter out on in the slow cooker, but eight hours on low left it pretty soupy. I tried taking off the lid and turning the slow cooker to high. No love.

So, I switched over to using the stovetop and a large pot. Stirring continuously over medium heat for about fifteen minutes, I cooked until most of the pear chunks were gone. Then I used a stick blender to make it lovely and smooth.

It tasted good! I hope it goes over well at Thanksgiving and I don't forget it at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment